The fire occurred on the 14 June 2017 and its way after the event.
Is this medical danger unusual?
No, not at all BUT it does show how inept the UK medics are.
Why I’m saying that is because they forgot the basics of what happens during a fire as when a building goes up, it generates many different toxic gaseous, vapor products, and particulates. Some of those toxins take ages to show up as physical effects. Especially fibrous things like asbestos!
Three main products of combustion are gas, vapors, and particulates.
- Gas generated by the heat stays gaseous even when the fire has cooled down.
Such gas may be lighter or heavier than air.
- Vapors will condense into their original form when they are chilled.
- Smoke is a form of fine particulates and will stay the same even if cooled.
If inhaled, any toxins including fibers will be impossible to remove (think asbestos).
A list of SOME of the products of fire.
- Carbon monoxide (CO)
If inhaled CO causes asphyxiation by blocking the absorption of oxygen into the blood.
This is not easily or quickly reversed even using high oxygen levels.
- Carbon Dioxide
Simply put, it replaces the oxygen in the blood and you suffocate. So high level oxygen will help BUT in sever poisoning cases, you my be placed within a hyperbaric (high pressure) chamber.
- Hydrogen Cyanide prevents cells from absorbing oxygen. *** This one takes time to show up if the concentrations are minimal and it’s effects vary within the exposed.***
Cyanide, and its various forms, is majorly toxic. Treatment involves high-flow oxygen, airway management, and respiration support if required, Establishment of an (IV), continuous cardiac monitoring, and possible advanced cardiac life support for irregular heart rhythms.
- Hydrogen chloride. (HCl)
HCL attacks the upper respiratory tract and lead to asphyxiation or death from pulmonary swelling, the subsequent shock, and finally circulatory collapse.
- Nitrogen dioxide (NO2), which is very toxic can cause low levels of oxygenated blood.
- Nitric oxide (NO) does not exist in atmospheric air because it is converted into dioxide in the presence of oxygen. In a fire, (NO) is a strong ACID irritant to mucous membranes by reacting with moisture to produce nitrous and nitric acids.
This is only a few of the main gaseous products of fire.
So are you pretty much doomed?
For the average person the only hope you have is to don a mask, cover up, extricate yourself as fast as possible, decontaminate, and ALWAYS get medical help as some of the toxins don’t show themselves till many days after the event.
- Remove any contact lenses and discard them, i.e. they are done for, bin them!.
- Strip and dump your clothing.
Forget about trying to clean them and that includes your boots!
- Have a thorough LONG cool water VERY soapy shower and wash your hair.
Cool because some contaminates may be absorbed if you use hot water which opens the skin pores.
- If your eyes feel at all irritated or your vision is blurred, rinse your eyes with plain water for 10 to 15 minutes.
- If you wear eyeglasses, wash them with soap and water.
You can put your eyeglasses back on after you wash them.
NOTE ALL INJURIES INCLUDING SCRATCHES. Don’t burst blisters or use creams.
Monitor those injuries, If they get worse, GET HELP!
You can gain limited protection from particulates by donning a good quality face mask.
(P100 / FFP3).
For protection from cyanide, you can use a cartridge (preferably full face) mask specially designed for cyanide protection.
For even better protection you’ll need breathing apparatus that has a supply of breathing-quality air from an air cylinder.
That’s a level not easily carried as part of your everyday carry (EDC) kit.
So once again, your immediate actions would be:-
- Mask up and cover up (because contact with some airborne material is as bad as breathing it).
- GET OUT!
- Once out decontaminate, dumping your clothing and any contact lenses.
- Then ALWAYS seek medical help.
Don’t forget, if the government says everything is safe,
and there is nothing to worry about!
(Which they will do remotely i.e. well away from any danger)
Nine times out of time they are lying, ignorant,
Or just don’t want to admit how bad things are!
If you are told to shelter in place from a fire or incident generating contaminates, you should select a small, interior room, with no or few windows, and take refuge there.
For safety mask up and don medical quality gloves. Cover up. Don’t eat, drink, or smoke. Have a radio or TV on to monitor any emergency broadcasts. Wait until you are told it is safe only think about what I said above.
Once safe, you can leave the room BUT keep wearing your mask while checking the house for ingress of contaminates i.e. dust.
If you find some, consider that it may contain contaminates.
Don’t just sweep it up or use a vacuum cleaner as most have inadequate filtration and all you are doing is re-blowing the harmful dust into the air.
My personal advice is:-
If you’ve got BAD dust indoors, it will also be everywhere outside.
Keep masked up, cover up, and evacuate if it is safe to do so, until you know what to do.
Again don’t eat, drink, or smoke as everything may be covered with toxic material.
Wait until you have checked and double checked it is OK to do so.
Note. All this information is freely available on the Internet.
Don’t take a chance by believing a politician all is safe.
Ultimately, you are on your own!